California Mountain Cows

The best thing I have ever seen on a trip?  When I saw this topic the first thing that came to mind were the mountain cows.  This memory always makes me giggle.

Brad and I decided to load up the camper and take a vacation to the mountains in Northern California.  He lived there for many years, but it had been quite a long time since he had been to this particular lake.  This lake was near Redding.  Brad only remembered the dirt road through the woods to get there.  It was late and dark by the time we got up there.  There's no way he was going to check a map or ask anyone about the lake before we ventured off road.  He just kept driving through the woods.

Honestly, I was thinking where are you taking me you crazy person.  Eventually, Brad agreed to just park it for the night.

I woke to the sound of bells clanging.

"Hey, do you hear cow bells?"  I open the camper door and we are parked in the middle of an area that has been clear cut.  I could still hear the bells, but couldn't see where they were coming from.  I decided to go for a walk down the dirt road and as I turn the corner there they were, this huge herd of cows coming up the road.


I wish I had a video of this.  We all froze for about 10 seconds.  We were staring at each other, then they all turned and ran full bore down back down the road.  I could just picture these comment clouds over their heads.

"Who's that?"

 "Run!!! Everyone Run!!!"

I was just laughing so hard.  Brad came up laughing too.  I figure HE is why they ran....hehehe.

I looked and Brad and said, "What are COWS doing up in the mountains?!"

Brad managed to find the lake he was looking for, which was now privately owned, stocked AND right off a nicely paved road.

I'd never have met them if Brad knew about the road.

I figure they're the mountain cow cousins of the California Happy Cows.


No comments:

Post a Comment