5 Keys to Gaining Perspective

"Whatever you focus on gets bigger."  Author Unknown

This idea has proven to be true in my life.  When I'm mad about something it tends to consume my thoughts, so at least in how it is effecting me the situation is getting bigger.  My mind will even add things that haven't happened or I expect will happen, turning what might be a small agitation into a huge issue.

I have been practicing for a few years now, to do the opposite when I get agitated about something.I follow these steps and I as the result am a happier person.

  1. Pause when agitated: I count or say the serenity prayer.  I have to remember there are things I can't control.
  2. I think of 10 things I am grateful for: God,  my job, Boots, my cat, family, friends, a car that works, a roof over my head, food in the frig, bills that are paid, and my creativity.  
  3. Go over the facts and only the facts.
  4. Talk to a neutral party - usually a friend totally unrelated to the problem.  All my friends will tell me when I am out of line.
  5. Pray 
These 5 things help to keep from hurting anyone and gives me perspective.  Perspective is key to being happy, which is what that quote is about to me.

How do you gain perspective when things aren't going your way??

No comments:

Post a Comment