More 50 before 50...

The count down is down to 73 days:

#5.  This one is a process.  I submitted my application to volunteering at Hope's Door.  This Is an amazing organization that helps women and children get out of homes where there is domestic abuse.  This is very near and dear to my heart because I have experience in this area.  I have finally gotten through to the other side  of the aftermath of living that way for 16 years.  I had to be in a place within myself where I could give these women hope that they can have a different life.  I left that situation in 2002, but was only able to start healing emotionally in 2010.  I am now in a place where I no longer hold resentments, but I hold forgiveness.  I have wanted to help other's in this area, but you can not give what you do not have.

Also, knowing what abuse IS is very important, it not only physical, it is psychological and emotional abuse, it is verbal abuse, it is being controlled by another person.  Yes, men can be victims also, but my experience is as a woman, so that is all I can speak to.

The Mary Kay Foundation has compact mirrors that include a list of signs of abuse and inside is a card that has a number you can text if you are in danger.  If you or someone you know is in an abusive relationship please email me at oneawesomebrenda@marykay.com and I will be happy to send you a mirror and information.

 In my case the abuse began as verbal and emotional abuse, then grew into more controlling behaviors.  These felt normal to me because I had grown up watching this.  In my experience, these grow into physical threats and then into actual violence.  I left at one point, but did not have a support system and went back.  This was my greatest mistake, he was nice for a while.  As I became stronger he got more and more aggressive.  One day I knew that if I didn't leave then one day I wouldn't be able to leave.

I won't go into the why's that I stayed for 16 years, but I will say that I had to go through it to be who I am today.  I am a beautiful, confident, survivor, who has forgiven and is learning to love again.

#6.  I have ordered a Mosaic kit and will have my mosaic project completed this week!!  I can't wait!  I will post pictures when it is complete.

#7.  I am meeting with my fitness and nutrition consultant.  We will be walking and talking.  I am going to see if she would like to do a weekly or monthly post on my blog!!  Anne is so amazing, I hope she wants to!!

#8 Random Act of Kindness:  My favorite is picking up the order for the person behind me.  I gave a $20 to the manager that runs the drive-thru at Starbucks near work and asked to pay for as many orders as she could with it.  She said she was only giving it to the nice people.  LOL.

#9  I completed a painting last night, but my apartment complex is having a cookies and paint class on the 29th, which will count as my class.  Here is what I did last night as my creative outlet.
#10 Compliment a stranger!  I love this, because just the most simple act can turn someone's day around.  To look someone you don't know in the eye and say "You are beautiful! I hope you have a great day." and then move on.  She smiled and stood a little taller.  What a great thing to see.

Only 40 left!!  The list is being modified slightly, due to a shoulder injury and financial restraints.

No comments:

Post a Comment